Pitfalls to Avoid in Document Imaging
In the 21st century, storing information electronically has commonly become the safest and most professional way to backup your system information and learning how to avoid document imaging problems is paramount. This is the very reason why more and more companies are choosing to have any important paperwork scanned or transferred from perishable pieces of paper to more permanent PDF files.
Digital documents have become a mainstay of everyday life. Storing any means of necessary paperwork, these documents have entered the list of highly necessary modern conveniences, and many businesses and organizations have adopted digital files as part of their systems.
The below statistics help show why the change is being made:
Imagine the amount of time, costs and natural resources that can be saved by simply incorporating effective document imaging in the corporate world. This is the very reason why Document imaging has become such an important part of getting things done daily, and why so many people need it and should consider using it.
Benefits of Document Imaging
In truth, Time and costs are not the only benefits that can be gained from moving over to this process. With the system’s new enhanced capabilities like Intelligent Document Recognition, Optical Mark Recognition, Optical Character Recognition, and Intelligent Character Recognition, new and exciting possibilities have become available to us. These include:
- With Intelligent Document Recognition you can scan or import a variety of documents into a system without requiring an employee to do any prior sorting of the documents, a massive advantage when dealing with a huge stack of paperwork.
- Optical Mark Recognition allows you to capture human-marked data from document forms such as surveys and tests, questionnaires, and multiple-choice examination papers and easily compile this information into a digital format with the press of a button.
- With Optical Character Recognition, you can electronically convert handwritten or printed text into machine-encoded text, whether from a scanned document or a photo of a document.
- Intelligent Character Recognition even gives you a handwriting recognition system that allows fonts and different styles of handwriting to be learned by a computer during processing to improve accuracy.
Problems to Avoid in Document Imaging
Moving over to this system may be for the better, but one must remember it is still a transition. Rushing to deploy big changes all at once is never a good idea! If you find yourself wanting to embrace this new way of doing things, here are a few things to consider when wanting to avoid document imaging problems:
Most importantly when it comes to technology, quality is always key. Investing in adequate scanning equipment will always be your first step, and this includes an automatic document feeder. Yes, this will be pricey, but if this first step is not taken correctly, you will stumble and fall.
Secondly, training will always be needed when taking on new things. The better the training, the better your chances of avoiding the common mistakes of document imaging.
Sometimes, it’s the little things that can trip you up:
- Highlighting important information on documents you intend to scan can lead to an error in most cases.
- Stapling together items intended for scanning will cause problems. Staples and scanners should never mix.
- The importance of accuracy should never be underestimated.
- Overlooking data entry labor cost is a common mistake. We all prefer not to spend a lot of money when it comes to business costs. But in some cases, it can truly damage any progress you are trying to achieve.
- And most importantly, have a document retention schedule: This schedule will help you keep records required by law and get rid of the ones that past their useful life. Never keep excess files if you can destroy them because you don’t want them to become a liability. This also includes keeping your documents in a safe location. It is not a good idea to keep hard copies or files easily accessed on the premises.
If you want to move forward correctly, it is imperative that all your team members become aware of the do’s and don’ts in document imaging.
Why Document Imaging is Essential
Earlier on, we highlighted some very real benefits to investing in document imaging, turnaround time, costs and resources are a huge plus. However, these benefits do in fact go a lot deeper than that.By making this transition, you are essentially giving your company the ability to:
- Create an effective records management system.
- Gain access to an easy-to-use, instant, and real-time online records management system.
- Preserve the lifespan of your fragile paper records.
- Your company will be able to better comply with security regulations.
- Expand your office’s physical storage capacity; there is no limit to how much you can store electronically.
- Safeguard the welfare of your business; you will be able to better protect your confidential documents.
- It can provide your company with a means of disaster recovery planning in the event of a fire or serious damage or theft.
With all of the capabilities, you’re gaining your company really can go full circle.
In a recent study, truly staggering information was brought forward on exactly what a company stands to lose by stubbornly sticking to the old ways:
According to these statistics:
When looking at it from this point of view, one has to admit this process truly can be greatly beneficial.
Finding the Best Partner to Assist in the Change
With more than ten years of experience in the Data Management industry, Data Entry Outsourced is one of the most trusted names in outsourcing. We adhere to industry standard document imaging best practices to ensure that our clients’ information is properly captured. Catering to clients with varied requirements from across the globe. We can provide the required expertise to cater to any document imaging needs to ensure a successful outcome.
- By outsourcing with us, you will enjoy a smoother road to productive digitization as well as the best practices for document imaging.
- We provide personalized attention to each client irrespective of order volume.
- And more importantly with us, you get guaranteed data security with state-of-the-art security systems.
At the end of the day, document imaging may very well be the innovative tool your business needs, and it is definitely something to consider. By taking that big step forward, you can change your work process from ‘almost successful’ to the essence of productivity itself. Reach out to our team today and let’s get your project started today.